CHARLOTTE'S CYCLING DIARY

From Boston to Santa Barbara. On a bike.


Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pennsylvania, the epic state

So I haven't posted in a while, it is hard to get internet access around these parts. This will also be a short one since many people are waiting for turns. It has been a crazy few days, hilly and long. A few days ago we crossed the Hudson, which was a major highlight. We have now also crossed the Susquehanna.
I am currently in Johnstown, PA, after an epic couple of days. Yesterday was a century from Berwick to State College, which was long, but beautiful Amish country, and I stopped with some people at a state park and swam. We eventually conquered many hills and arrived victorious. Today was the hardest day yet, 80 miles and lots of very steep hills. The terrain was harder, and we were more tired. The very end was a downhill at 16% grade with turns that was no doubt the scariest couple of minutes of my life. One highlight of the day was a free ice cream stop with my riding lady buddies. My body is pretty angry with me, but at least sleep will come easy. Soon, we will be in Pittsburgh, where we have our first DAY OFF!! Can't wait. Love to all! Also, thanks for reading, your comments mean so much to me!

6 comments:

Joe M said...

Hey Charlotte,
Doing a grand job, I can't believe how far you cycle in one day, 80 miles must be exhausting!
Poughkeepsie rings a bell, some of my team is based out there, small world! Or is it? Poughkeepsie could be huge, I've never been... I know it one of the important IBM bases though.
Keep up the good work, hope your weather out there is better than ours ;)

Joe

Caitlin said...

According to your route tracker it looks like you have gone pretty far. I calculate it as about one thumb out of a total of four thumbs and a tip. Yay! Unfortunately we seem to be lacking some ttc data. I don't think you realize how fun it will be to graph its progression. Look forward to some scatter plot action.

Len Morse-Fortier said...

Hey Fille:
I am proud of you and a little jealous - not for all the climbing, or the relentless schedule, but certainly for the opportunity to see the entire country from the seat of a bike. I rode 28 miles Sunday and felt like I accomplished something... pitiful really.
Love, Dad

Len Morse-Fortier said...

Hey Fille:

I am totally proud and a little jealous - not so much for the climbing, but for the opportunity to see so much country from the seat of a bike. I rode 28 miles Sunday morning and felt like I had accomplished something. Pitiful, really. Keep up the good work and enjoy your day off!
Love, Dad

Unknown said...

Wellie sends face kisses and wags. He's jealous of your swims; he's banished to dry land til Sat. Then White pond here we come.
We got your 1st post card today! Enjoy recharging, and the trek west.
love,
maman

AndyK said...

Was just googling around and discovered this great trek you're on. Stacy and I would love to see you when you get to Bloomington.
There are still some roads and bridges closed between Bloomington and Vincennes from our floods. Details here:
http://www.in.gov/dot/gis/slo/RoadClosure.html

Mr Andy K