CHARLOTTE'S CYCLING DIARY

From Boston to Santa Barbara. On a bike.


Saturday, June 14, 2008

Team Concrete

I don't know when the internet will be available again, so let the post blitz continue.
So we had our first day on a build site! First I have to officially commend the generosity shown to us by the Webber family, who hosted us all for an amazing dinner last night. We met Tony, who spoke to us about the Merrimack chapter of Habitat for Humanity, which is active in this area. He was very inspirational, and made us all feel like we were the most awesome human beings for helping out with this cause, even though we are only here for one day. We have allocated some of this year's Bike and Build funds (about $110,000) to cover the costs of one house's construction in this chapter, which is really exciting. The more I learn about the affordable housing cause, and the more people I meet who are already involved, the more I want to do all I can.

In that vein, we headed to Lawrence today, where we split between two build sites. I went to a group of Habitat houses which were mostly all finished, but which needed fences. I thought, foolishly, that the build days would be a nice, relatively relaxing break from biking. Turns out, digging two foot holes in stony soil and mixing concrete to fill them is hot, time-consuming work. But Team Concrete conquered in the end, and our fence posts are looking great. We got to work with a future Habitat house owner, which was a lot of fun. All Habitat house owners, in addition to paying for their house (at cost), must complete 500 hours of "sweat equity" working. We helped out a little back at the other build site, where they are reconstructing a couple of houses that had been completed, but tragically burned in a fire earlier this year.

Tonight, we go back to the Webber's, where they have prepared a Thanksgiving dinner for us. To put this miracle in perspective, keep in mind that "us" is 31 ravenous, locust-like young people. It's really quite incredible. Thanks also to all of you, I wouldn't be here without your help!

(And tomorrow, back on the bike and on to Fitchburg.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were thrilled to watch you and your friends get your start yesterday. Thanks for your blog updates and good luck tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Go Team! We're rooting from you (safely from the sofa).

Erin said...

Sounds awesome! best of luck and see you soon!!