CHARLOTTE'S CYCLING DIARY

From Boston to Santa Barbara. On a bike.


Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hoosier Hospitality

I have been remiss in posting due to lack of easy internet, but I will try to fill in the holes now. I am currently in Bloomington Indiana, after a couple of the most beautiful sunny days we have seen in quite some time. We are all happy that our endless rain seems to have stopped, although judging from the floods visible along today's route, that is not neccessarily a guarantee in these parts.

So since I last posted we have come through Ohio, featuring some thunderstorms and general monsoonesque weather going into Columbus. It seems like a really great city, and it was too bad we weren't there longer. We also had a crazy day there where we spent the morning building with the Columbus Habitat chapter (I can install a mean venetian blind), and then biked 60 miles to our hosts in Yellow Springs. The ride into Yellow Springs was beautiful, and gave me a newfound appreciation for the aesthetics of the midwest. I am sure I will tire of corn and farmhouses, but for now I am enjoying their charms. (Also Katie and I rescued an adorable kitten, so that may have given me rose-colored glasses for a while.)

Yesterday we had beautiful weather for biking, a godsend on a 96 mile day. I was having a great day up until mile 92, just outside our final destination of Rushville. I was in a paceline with my usual crew, and the person in front of me hit a hole, skidded and fell, and I didn't have time to steer around her. I hit her bike, flew (with my bike) over her and landed, mostly on my hands, chin, and left knee. I got off the road quickly and no cars came right away so we were lucky. Long story short, I can definitely say that the good people of Rushville Indiana are some of the nicest around. I have six stitches in my chin (and a rocking huge bandage that makes everyone I pass look at me funny) and five in my knee, with only minor wounds elsewhere. People helped and took me to the ER, one woman from our host took me to her house to shower, helped me get all rebandaged when I couldn't keep my dressings dry, and sent me off with plenty of new first aid supplies. Everyone is so amazingly generous to us, everywhere we go!

I am really bummed that I couldn't ride today, but I was lucky all in all. I am fine, and only my face hurts. I have to go easy on the knee ones, because the stitches can tear, so I will see how that all goes. Cycling is not the lightest on the knees. For now I am taking it easy, luckily we have a build day here tomorrow, so I am sure I can find a chore that requires little bending. Wish me luck, and fast healing!

10 comments:

Erin said...

Holy bejeebees! I'm glad you're okay but I didn't send you off in PGH to get all banged up. Get well soon.
~erin

Anonymous said...

oh man carolota. you had best come home with all your limbs still intact... also, hopefully this minor setback won't hold up he ttc futures too much. anyway, I'm sure you'll heal up right and do us sedentary slackers proud ;)

Len Morse-Fortier said...

I too am glad you'll heal. As someone familiar with the feeling of banging the pavement with my face, I can honestly say I know something of how you feel. I hope your knee feels up to riding again soon. As for EFI, when this is over, perhaps you and I can fly to the western end of wherever you climbed back on and then we can ride east (it's that wind thing, you know) to the scene of your accident. We may have to make up the difference next summer, but I'd like you to be able to wear your EFI T-Shirt with pride of ownership. I love ya, kid.
Dad

Dave said...

Hey Charlotte - glad you are okay! Have a great Holiday weekend and enjoy the fireworks on the 4th! The kids are loving all the pictures and enjoy trying to find you in the photos. Take care and we hope you heal quick.

Gran said...

Charlotte, Your mom helped me to do this. Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you heal quickly.
Gramps will have a full hip replacement tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Charlotte 92 miles in one day!! So sorry about your fall...OUCH. We are so proud of you doing this trip!
Happy healing, love, Merry and Peter

Unknown said...

Great photos, Charlotte! I found them tonight.

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to talk to you the other day - I can't believe how wildly fantastically awesome you are!
I'm more than a bit upset about your fall, but I'm glad that you're mostly ok. Remember, whenever someone asks you about your scar, you're going to have only the greatest story of all time.
I love you with all my heart and wish you fast healing!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the fall - that sounds scary/painful. Hope you heal up fast and can get back on the bike soon if you haven't already. Love you!

Anonymous said...

The accident sounds pretty painful, good thing you're so fuerte...sorry i've been so bad about keeping in touch, will catch up with you soon.