I'm in Texas! I can't believe I made it all the way here, it feels like a different world. (One man here, when we told him we were from Boston, said "Oh, is that in America? This here is Texas".) The landscape is unlike the ones I am familiar with, very empty and dry. The southwest is undiscovered territory for me, and I find it beautiful. We have been leaving early in the morning, before the sunrise. I love seeing the sun rise over the cattle farms and oil rigs.
So I finally arrived in Amarillo today after a long, hot, windy century full of flats and other small surprises. It took the group I was with about eleven hours to get it all done, which is a long time to be in the saddle, but all's well that ends well. Consequently, I am very glad to be building and not biking tomorrow. Texas has been pretty great so far, last night we stayed in Wheeler, a small town with a cool youth group who hung out with us and took some of our crew out shooting last night. Now we are off to the Big Texan restaurant, where Jorge will attempt to eat a 72 ounce steak (if he succeeds, it's free.) Wish us luck!
CHARLOTTE'S CYCLING DIARY
From Boston to Santa Barbara. On a bike.
From Boston to Santa Barbara. On a bike.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Was Jorge successful in his attempt to polish off the 72 ounce steak? That's a lot of beef!
I agree, seeing the sun rise over the oil rigs in Texas is beautiful, but I must admit I've never seen it from the seat of a bike! Kudos to you, Charlotte!
You're in my old neck of the woods now. I was born in Amarillo. Hope you're enjoying yourself. You know you're making some of us out here jealous. ;)
Post a Comment