CHARLOTTE'S CYCLING DIARY

From Boston to Santa Barbara. On a bike.


Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Land of Enchantment




I'm on Mountain time! Ever so slowly, we creep west towards California, and now I am in New Mexico, the land of enchantment, with only three states left to go. Yesterday we took a detour to Palo Duro on our way outside Amarillo, the second largest canyon in the US, which was gorgeous (proof above). I loved it, and it whetted my appetite for the Grand Canyon, coming up soon. I rode sweep today into Portales, and had relatively few incidents. We did experience one epic fight with a tire that took the wiles of five of us to wrestly back on to Erin's wheel. Tomorrow we head to Roswell, where, in addition to scoping out the alien invasion, I plan to hit up the world's largest mozzarella cheese factory.





Thanks to much leg work on behalf of a couple girls in my crew, Bike and Build has been getting a lot of publicity. Here are some of the sites and stories :





http://www.fox23.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=CFDE90B7-369D-4C1E-B914-05CB8BD10B81&gsa=true





http://www.newschannel10.com/Global/story.aspS=8711508





http://myhighplains.com/content/fulltext/?cid=14221





http://www.amarillo.com/stories/072208/new_news4.shtml





http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080716_11_A1_hWHEEL136056

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hi! I'm Katie's aunt (her dad's favorite sister). I just wanted to say that your picture is absolutely beautiful! I'm so jealous of your trip, even though I know that it would probably kill me to do it. Take care of Katie and bike safely.

Katie's Aunt Julie