CHARLOTTE'S CYCLING DIARY

From Boston to Santa Barbara. On a bike.


Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ash Fork, Arizona

Since last I wrote, much has happened. I saw Roden Crater, the Grand Canyon, and ate some amazing pie. Roden Crater is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen, the blend of science (astronomy) and art was unbelievably creative and impressive. I can't really ever hope to explain in a blog what the crater is like or why it is so beautiful, but if it ever gets finished and/or opens to the public, you all should do your best to get there. I for one plan to go back.

Then we biked to the Grand Canyon, where we made camp and had a day off. The Grand Canyon was one of the main reasons I chose this route, so it is hard to underestimate how excited I was about it. Despite all the hype you hear about the Grand Canyon, it can never be overstated, and I was amazed. It almost didn't look real. We watched the sunset on the day we biked in, which was a little cloudy but still beautiful. We made a campfire and smores and slept outside under the stars. This was our first (and will be only) real time camping outdoors, and it was glorious. It has been too long since I have camped. On the day off, a few of us went on a hike down inside the rim, descending for a mile and a half into the canyon before coming back up again. Luckily for us, it was not too sunny, and we started around 7:30am, so it wasn't too hot. I really loved being able to go into the canyon, because it gives you much more a sense of the enormity of it all, and you can see the rock layers up close. The rest of the day we relaxed and enjoyed our free time. I feel so lucky to have gotten to see the Grand Canyon, I loved it, it fulfilled all my expectations and then some.

Today we biked from the Canyon to Ash Fork, 80 miles away. It was a nice ride and we stopped in Williams for the best pie ever. I had chocolate dipped strawberry, and suffice it to say that if I had had more cash on me, I might have never left. So we realized today that we have only 8 more days of biking left after today... I can't quite imagine that. We have already passed the Grand Canyon, and it still doesn't seem possible that we might actually reach California. Next exciting stop is in Vegas, which comes this Thursday. Our leader Skip hooked us up with some crazy connections and thus we are staying in a supersweet hotel (with beds!!!!!) on the strip (!!!) across from the Mirage (!!!) and with free buffet (!!!). We are all beyond thrilled, and crazy stories to follow.

4 comments:

Len Morse-Fortier said...

Hey:
I just returned from sharing a little of your Mom's after-school time on Cape Cod. Monday after I arrived, we hiked along the bay side shore line to a place called Jeremy's Point. We got to the end where the fence stops you - birds nesting beyond - and turned inland toward Wellfleet Harbor. We managed to get a little lost among the salt marshes, but did eventually get back. All in all, it wwas a hike of about 8 miles, much of it in soft sand, and it wore out my old bones. I am jealous of your time in the canyon and glad you'll be passing the Hoover Dam tomorrow. I can't wait to see you and your photos home safely.
Love, Dad

Unknown said...

do tell, what are you building in Vegas? and how did you look?

Anita Chang - Pittsburgh, PA said...

Hi Charlotte! It's Anita, the NC2SD B&B alum from Pittsburgh. I'm glad that you've been keeping a great blog! It'll be fun to read over later, and you've got some great stories. I can't believe you guys are almost done either!! I wish you all a safe rest of the journey into Santa Barbara!
(P.S. I had pie in Williams too, and I remember it being absolutely amazing. =)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having an awesome time, I wish I was there to see the Grand Canyon. Anyway, enjoy the last leg of your trip...btw, did you get my postcard?